From the outside looking in, there are plenty of “experts” out there who are happy to give you advice on how to get the best value out of your cell phone and your cell phone plan, but insider knowledge, that’s where the real juicy meat is at. A former Verizon Wireless rep just went candid and dispensed five useful tips to people looking to get a new phone from VZW.
1. Never get a 2-year contract. “The only benefit to a 2 yr contract is a $50 savings on your phone. Its not worth it. Take the $50 and get a 1 year then you can upgrade to a new phone every 10 months.
2. Mention the lost or stolen program to get 25% off a new phone, even if you’re under contract.
3. If you’re on a rate plan of $59.99 or higher, you can get a new phone (and new contract) for the discounted price after 12 months.
4. Ask for a loyalty credit on the phone before going to the store. “One way to work the system if you have New Every 2 and are out of contract is to call customer care, have them put you back into contract, but ask for a loyalty credit (up to $60 off your next months bill), then go into the retail store and use your New Every 2.”
5. Tell them you’ll sign up for the Unlimited Data Plan with your Treo. “Speaking of Treos, often they offer an extra $100 off if you get the Unlimited data plan. Get it.. Save $100 and cancel it the next day if you don’t want it. The leverage here is amazing also because that high end data package counts as a new activation in a roundabout way for the rep. None of the data packages are contractual.”