HP with Cingular Wireless today confirmed the hopes of many, the HP iPAQ hw6500 series Mobile Messenger will be available on Cingular’s high-speed EDGE network throughout the US.
This is the first Pocket PC to use EDGE, users will have access to the largest and fastest networks in the country, from 13,000 cities and towns to more than 40,000 miles of interstate highways.
It is also the first Cingular device to have an integrated GPS receiver. Cingular will be selling two versions, the hw6515 with 1.3-megapixel camera, and the hw6510 model, without camera. Each model however includes quad-band class 10 GSM/GPRS/EDGE compatibility, multimedia, text and instant messaging, Bluetooth wireless, VPN support and Secure Digital (SDIO) and Mini-SD slots for increased storage capacity.
They will be available after October 31st from Cingular for around US $449 with a two-year contract or $649 without activation.
Update: Available by mid-November, the HP iPAQ hw6515 will sell for CAN $549.99 after rebate with a three-year voice and data service agreement from Rogers Wireless in Canada.
Additionally, HP Canada, through HPShopping.ca, and authorized resellers will offer the HP iPAQ hw6510 and hw6515 Mobile Messenger at a suggested retail price of CAN $749 and $799 respectively.
Features and Specifications of the HP iPAQ hw6500
– Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz for enhanced global use
– Integrated QWERTY keyboard for easy response to email, text, and instant messages
– GPS location capabilities via integrated GPS receiver with separately purchased GPS navigation application provides driving directions at your fingertips
– Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition software – Phone Edition
– 64MB RAM / 64MB ROM
– Integrated Bluetooth for use with various headsets, car kits and other accessories
– Integrated Secure Digital (SDIO) and Mini-SD slots for greater storage and expansion
– Optional 1.3 mega-pixel camera, with video capabilities
– Weight 5.82 oz (165 g)
– Dimensions 4.65″ x 2.80″ x 0.83″ (118 x 71 x 21 mm)