TomTom, a company that specializes in navigation solutions, has announced a new product today called the TomTom Rider. The Rider is a portable all-in-one GPS that can easily mount on your motorbike or scooter. The device can also communicate with your GRPS enabled phone to provide information services such as traffic and weather conditions through its TomTom Plus service.
The GPS unit can communicate with you turn-by-turn through the provided Bluetooth headset that fits into your helmet. The Rider is housed in a durable waterproof housing and can provide up to 5 hours of constant driving. In addition, the Bluetooth earset also works with your cell phone to enable you to use it for hands-free calling.
The TomTom Rider should be available this summer. No word on pricing.
• ARM920T processor running at 400MHz
• Operating temperature: 14 to 131 degrees F
• Weatherproof: IPX7
• 64MB RAM
• SD card with software and maps
• USB to connect to a PC for updates
• Internal rechargeable Lithium Ion battery giving approx. 5hrs depending on use
• Alternatively power from the 12V/24V bike battery
• Bluetooth headset for clear audio instructions
• Integrated GPS receiver based on SiRF Star III with 20 Channel All-in-view tracking
• Mountings to fit any bike