Microsoft Corp., TWI Interactive and Vidiator Technology Inc. today announced the launch of MobileVision, an end-to-end solution for the management, creation and delivery of digital video content for mobile users.
Jointly created, MobileVision is available today from TWIi and provides wireless operators and content providers with all the tools needed to easily deploy and operate a mobile video service.
MobileVision offers network operators, content and applications service providers, and rights owners a fully integrated content management, transcoding, streaming, billing and customer-care solution. MobileVision benefits from being optimized for Microsoft Windows Media 9 Series and for the industry-standard 3GPP formats and protocols by using Vidiator’s adaptive transcoding and delivery technology that enables the distribution of mobile services to the widest range of handsets using either Windows or non-Windows operating systems.
“Consumers have come to expect access to compelling content from a number of different types of devices, whenever and wherever they want it,” said Amir Majidimehr, corporate vice president of the Windows Digital Media Division at Microsoft. “This easy, seamless flow of digital content has long been Microsoft’s vision, and we are pleased to work with leading industry partners such as TWIi and Vidiator to deliver this innovative solution.”
MobileVision offers operators and content providers unprecedented time to market, minimizing development time and allowing them to launch wireless content delivery services in as little as four weeks. MobileVision can be provided as a hosted service from TWI Interactive.
“The demand for streaming of content will accelerate once consumers experience the MobileVision service,” said Connie Wong, CEO of Vidiator Technology. “The VidiServer streaming solution has the ability to convert audio and video formats in Windows Media and those defined in the 3GPP specification, so that content can be tailored to match the capabilities and resources of various types of mobile devices. This adaptive streaming technology from Vidiator empowers MobileVision with the flexibility to offer its content in Windows Media format as well as other formats.”
“Mobile video content services are emerging as a viable market opportunity for content owners and a logical means for consumers to access high-quality content,” said Todd McCormack, CEO at TWIi. “To date, the required skills and costs associated with building and licensing their own infrastructure have prohibited companies from entering this space. However, we’re confident that MobileVision will be welcomed as a solution which enables organizations to quickly and easily start offering high-quality video content to consumers.”
Highlights of the MobileVision solution include the following:
– Video acquisition from one source or multiple sources
– Presentation of content to end users or customers via custom-designed mobile video portals
– Enhanced service management tools including billing, customer care and reporting, enabling organizations to provide a high-quality, consumer-driven service
– Reporting for return on investment and measure of success criteria
– Availability as a hosted service from TWIi
– Support of multiple video formats, mobile handsets and 2.5G/3G network technologies
– Easy integration with operator customer care and billing systems
– Inclusion of optional turnkey content partners in sports and entertainment
– Carrier-grade reliability, fault-tolerance and scalability for mission-critical media delivery