Olympus is trying to bridge the gap between the camcorder and digital stills with their new C-770 Movie. This camera is capable of recording MPEG-4 at 30 FPS (640 x 480 pixels). The CCD is 4 megapixels, a tad under the standard in my opinion. Other features to note is the USB 2.0 interface, 10x optical zoom, and the included 128MB xD-Picture Card.
The camera will be available in April 2004 at a MSRP of $949 US.
See press release below.
Forget Your Camcorder: Use the Olympus C-770 Movie instead
If you don’t have room to take both your camera and your camcorder on holiday this year, then the Olympus C-770 Movie is the answer to your problem. The 4 million pixel digital camera not only allows extremely versatile shooting with a powerful 10x optical zoom, it also records full-screen quality MPEG4 movies with sound. Available from April 2004, RRP will be £499.99 [inc VAT]. For stockist information call 0800 072 0070 or go to www.olympus.co.uk.
This camera is the perfect holiday companion for the seasoned traveller; the compact C-770 Movie doesn’t simply take superb digital shots, it also boasts a full-screen movie recording capability of 30 frames per second in MPEG4 quality – one of the most advanced of any existing digital cameras to date. The extraordinary picture quality also allows full television screen presentations.
The new flagship in the Olympus Ultra Zoom range features a bright (f2.8 – 3.7) 10x optical zoom lens which comprises eleven elements arranged in seven groups. In addition, it includes two aspherical lenses to reduce distortion, plus an ED element which helps to minimise chromatic aberration, an effect that often occurs when shooting in the tele-setting. In combination with a 4 million pixel CCD, this high precision optical system ensures pictures of superb quality, even when printed in larger sizes.
This model also offers a broad range of shooting modes including Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Full Manual settings, allowing you to create your own individual images. The camera’s range of scene programs (Portrait, Self Portrait, Night Scene, Sports, Landscape and Landscape with Portrait) proves extremely convenient when there is less time for manual adjustments.
Because the C-770 Movie complies with the PictBridge standard, direct printing can be carried out with compatible printers, eliminating the need for a PC. However, the USB 2.0 AutoConnect interface, means that pictures and movies can be downloaded quickly and easily to the computer.
Two software packages are included for handling the files
* CAMEDIA Master 4.2SE software allows easy optimising, editing and managing of the image files
* Ulead VideoStudio7 SE Basic to edit and watch the MPEG4 movies on your computer.
The C-770 Movie – main features
* 4.0 million pixels
* 10x optical zoom with ED lens (equiv. 38 – 380mm on 35mm camera), f2.8/3.7
* Full-screen (640 x 480 pixels) MPEG4 movie recording at 30 fps with sound
* Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Full Manual modes
* Hot shoe for flash gun
* 6 scene programs (Portrait, Self Portrait, Night Scene, Sports, Landscape and Landscape with Portrait)
* Optimised electronic viewfinder for precise framing
* All activated settings are displayed in the electronic viewfinder, allowing you to keep your eye on the subject at all times
* Supplied with 128MB xD-Picture Card
* PictBridge compatible
* USB 2.0
* 1.8” LCD with multi-language menu
* CAMEDIA Master 4.2SE plus Ulead VideoStudio7 SE Basic are provided with the camera