(Press Release) — Nikon has taken the lead in the popular and powerful “prosumer” camera category with its new Coolpix 8700 digital camera. This remarkable new product combines 8.0-megapixel resolution with an 8x Optical Zoom-Nikkor ED lens (35-280 mm, *35mm equivalent) and legendary Nikon quality and design to bring experienced digital photographers the most versatile and capable compact digital camera available today. The Nikon Coolpix 8700’s impressive performance and stunning images will quickly establish it as the new flagship for high-end consumer compact digital cameras.
“Today’s high-end digital consumer is much more experienced, better informed and starving for the best in design, quality and overall performance. The Nikon Coolpix 8700 addresses consumers head-on with the combination of 8-megapixel resolution and the most powerful optical zoom lens in the category,” said Jerry Grossman, vice president, Marketing, Consumer Digital Products ay Nikon Inc. “With this important new product, Nikon has clearly assembled the most aggressive display of cutting edge technology, extensive features and sheer photographic power in the compact consumer market to date.”
Nikon Coolpix 8700 – “The-Power-Of-8-ography” The Nikon Coolpix 8700 is the perfect camera for serious photographers who demand the highest level of quality and control from their compact digital camera. The camera incorporates an 8.0 effective megapixel CCD, which produces image sizes of up to 3,264 x 2,448-pixels for prints larger than 20×30-inches. For those who print their images at home, the Nikon Coolpix 8700 supports PictBridge technology to enable direct printing to compatible photo printers, regardless of brand. The camera also employs an 8x Optical Zoom-Nikkor lens, with Nikon’s own Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass, designed to get the photographer close to the subject without sacrificing image quality, color representation or sharpness.
Serious digital photographers demand a great deal from their equipment. The Nikon Coolpix 8700 is well prepared to withstand the wear and tear that comes with frequent use. The camera is constructed with a compact, lightweight magnesium (Mg) alloy body that has been designed for durability and portability, with a secure, comfortable grip for stability during shooting. Nikon has employed the highest resolution (238,000 pixel) electronic viewfinder (EVF) for extremely sharp, through-the-lens viewing. In addition, users can use the large 1.8″ vari-angle LCD panel as well to review shots on the go.
The Nikon Coolpix 8700 digital camera incorporates four exposure modes to give the photographer ultimate creative control over their image capture. These modes include Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A] and Manual [M]. The camera also offers an automatic mode, which makes the Coolpix 8700 an ideal tool in situations where operation needs to be ‘point-and-shoot simple.’ For added convenience, the camera now incorporates 12 preset Scene Modes taken from the existing line of award-winning Coolpix digital cameras. Scene Modes allow for striking images in practically any shooting situation. Simply select the mode appropriate to the lighting conditions, and the camera will automatically adjust focus, flash, contrast, sensitivity and white balance. The camera has ability to capture images in RAW recording mode (NEF format) for maximum image control and manipulation after the picture is taken using Nikon Capture software.
Legendary Nikkor Optics – The Lens Matters No matter the type or size of a camera, great pictures begin with great lenses. More professionals choose Nikkor lenses than all other brands combined. That very same quality is built into the Nikkor lens of every Nikon Coolpix digital camera, including the Nikon Coolpix 8700. The Nikon Coolpix 8700 has a zoom range of 35-280 mm (35mm equivalent). The lens incorporates two ED lens elements to produce clear, sharp, colorful images. In addition, an Optical Low-Pass Filter is optimized, which helps the new high-definition CCD image sensor to make the most out of the camera’s already outstanding optical performance. The result is remarkably clear, natural images with superior detail and contrast.
The Nikon Coolpix 8700 supports a complete series of affordable accessory lenses, which expand the camera’s zoom range from 7mm-420mm. The Coolpix 8700 is compatible with Coolpix accessory lenses including the 1.5x ED glass teleconverter (TC-E15ED)(420mm), the 0.8x Wide Angle Adapter (WC-E80)(28mm) and the new Fisheye converter lens (FC-E9)(7mm). That translates to a whopping 55x optical zoom capability…a figure that is unparalleled throughout the rest of the photo industry.
Nikon Coolpix 8700 Key Features:
* 8.0 effective megapixels (3,264 x 2,448-pixels)
* 8x optical Zoom-Nikkor ED lens with a zoom ratio of 35-280 mm (equivalent to 35mm-280mm in 35mm  format).
* 238,000-pixel high resolution through-the-lens EVF (Electronic Viewfinder), enhances user experience with backlight illumination
* Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A] and Manual [M] exposure control modes
* RAW data image mode — NEF
* Quick response — instant startup, reduced shutter release time lag and fast image processing
* 12 preset Scene Modes, including the new Panorama Assist Mode
* Continuous shooting of up to 5 full-size images at 2.5 frames per second (fps)
* Macro shooting capability as close as 1.2-inches supported by Best Shot Selector (BSS) function
* AE-BSS (Auto Exposure-BSS) for automatic selection of the best relative exposure – highlight, shadow or histogram
* Nikon’s exclusive 256-segment Matrix Metering, complemented by Center-Weighted, Spot and Spot AF area metering
* Fast, accurate Five-Area Multi Autofocus with the new AF-assist illuminator that assures sharp focusing in difficult compositions and low light
* Noise Reduction Mode for timed exposures
* In-camera color control — Saturation control (5 steps and B&W)
* Movie – TV movie (640 x 480 pixels; 30 fps) with audio, Small movie (320 x 240 pixels; 15 fps) with audio, or Sepia movie (320 x 240 pixels; 5 fps) with audio, or Time-lapse movie (640 x 480 pixels; 30 fps) without audio
* Large vari-angle highly transmissible advanced TFT-LCD monitor for greater visibility — even in bright sunlight
* Hot shoe for external Nikon SB-series Speedlights and accessories
Software and Accessories – Value Matters
Nikon Coolpix digital cameras incorporate the powerful NikonView 6 photo management software to transfer, browse, edit, save and print photos. NikonView offers the exclusive One-Touch Red-Eye Fix software, extensive one-button emailing options and an option to create online photo portfolio templates using HTML (Hyper Text Mark-up Language), which can easily be added to any personal Web site or page.
Nikon also includes a software suite from ArcSoft including VideoImpression to edit and share QuickTime movies taken with the camera and Panorama Maker , which takes advantage of the Coolpix 8700’s Panorama Assist Mode and seamlessly stitches together multiple horizontal or vertical images to create beautiful panoramic photos.
The Nikon Coolpix 8700 provides users with all the equipment they need to begin shooting, which includes NikonView 6 image management software, USB cable, video cable, neck strap, EN-EL1 rechargeable battery and quick charger. Optional accessories include the HN-CP11 Hood for using 77mm filters, as well as the MB-E5700 power and vertical release grip for expanded shooting capability.
The Nikon Coolpix 8700 will be available at retail in March 2004 at an MSRP of $999.95. For more information about the camera, please visit http://www.nikoncoolpix.com.