The battle for image quality may still be contested by pixel count, but the winner in the race for photographic perfection has learnt to look deeper than the numbers on the front page of the brochure. Even so the 8 times zoom ratio offered by the Coolpix 5700 appears impressive. From these top-end specifications, Nikon have presented a camera design that appeals to the active, able -bodied person who appreciates the fast-action shutter, to the painstaking photographer who, once in position needs the widest zoom range to get the perfect composition. By equipping the camera with one of the best electronic viewfinders to be found in the market, small size can now combined with through-the-lens comfort and connection with the subject.
The lightweight metal body – finished in the same durable black with professional-feel rubber grip and concealed pop-up flash – houses small but significant details such as an illuminated upper display that confirms this camera as one to use in situations where other compact cameras cannot venture.
Quality and responsiveness are expectations of the professional world and the Coolpix 5700 responds to the challenge with a new zoom lens featuring elements with the same ED (low dispersion) glass found in Nikon’s professional-grade lenses. As a consequence the images captured by the sensor retain maximum colour accuracy and sharpness throughout the 35 – 280 mm equivalent range and f/2.8 – 4.2 aperture. Similarities with professional expectations are maintained courtesy of a high-speed shutter that can release at a rate of three frames per second and the five-position auto focus ensures highest capability to frame and focus, whatever the subject. And for those who wish to move on from JPEG compression – the option of saving images in RAW file format is the gateway to the goal of highest possible image quality.
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Major Features
– 8x Zoom Digital Camera featuring 5.0 effective megapixels
– 5.0 effective megapixels for 2,560 x 1,920-pixel images
– Newly designed 8x Zoom-Nikkor lens with 8.9-71.2mm coverage (equivalent to 35-280mm in 35mm  format); digital zoom up to 4x magnification (32x when combined with optical zoom)
– Nikon’s advanced image-processing algorithm ensures faithful color reproduction
– Exclusive 256-segment Matrix Metering and Matrix Auto White Balance ensure outstanding exposure and white balance control
– Macro shooting down to 3cm (1.2 in.); macro shooting down to 50cm (19.7 in.) at full telephoto 280mm (35mm  format) also possible; convenient Best Shot Selector (BSS) function also available
– Durable, professional-grade magnesium (Mg)-alloy body combines refined ergonomics with a compact size
– Electronic ViewFinder (EVF) for bright accurate through-the-lens frame coverage; Vari-angle LCD for total convenience in every shooting position; both deliver images almost instantly
– Shutter speeds from 1/4,000 to 8 sec.
– Versatile white balance settings and White Balance Bracketing
– Saturation control (4 steps and Black & White) enables in-camera color modification for direct printing
– Noise Reduction mode for long-time exposures
– Clear Image mode for ultra-smooth color gradation at image sizes up to 1,280 x 960 pixels (SXGA size)
– Multiple capture modes, including Continuous shooting of up to 3 frames per second in full size and Ultra High-speed Continuous shooting of up to 30 fps at 320 x 240 pixels (QVGA size)
– RAW image (NEF format) data recording mode for increased image quality and enhanced post-processing potential
– Movies with audio (up to 60 sec.) and a built-in speaker for confirmation playback
– Quick Review button to check any image while in record mode (both captured photos and your current subject are displayed in the LCD monitor); pressing the shutter release button once reactivates record mode
– Built-in Speedlight automatically pops up when light is low or a subject is backlit; camera also features ISO 518 accessory shoe to accommodate external Speedlight attachment
– Plug-and-play USB 1.1 interface for connection to a computer
– Easy-to-use Nikon View 5 software for seamless transfer and easy management of images on a wide range of Operating systems
– Optional Nikon Capture 3 – the highest performance image and control software from a camera manufacturer offers dedicated imaging tools, including RAW data processing, aimed at the needs of the photographer
– Full line of system accessories (optional) including a new 28mm (35mm  format) wideangle converter lens and a 1.5x telephoto converter lens, along with a battery pack that uses six 1.5V LR6 (“AA”-size alkaline) batteries and enables easier vertical shooting
* Depending on the country or area, the battery and charger may not be included, but will be available as an option.