Nokia has unveiled a new entertainment category in its product portfolio with the Nokia 5510 phone. The Nokia 5510 is a device designed specifically for mobile entertainment, featuring a digital music player, stereo FM radio, games, and advanced messaging capabilities. Shipments are scheduled to begin in the 4th quarter, 2001.
“Every now and then it is crucial that you turn your thinking around. This time we took a phone, turned it sideways, added a full keyboard, music, and some fun! This new concept reflects not only a change in our perspective, but also a more fundamental transition that our industry is going through. Phones are no longer only voice and sms driven, but are increasingly functioning as platforms for other services, such as entertainment. With this phone, we’re introducing a new category of devices functioning as integrated entertainment platforms, which are complemented by related relevant services from Club Nokia,” said Anssi Vanjoki, Executive Vice President, Nokia Mobile Phones.
The Nokia 5510 has an integrated digital music player for AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) & MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer lll) music files. Users can record their favorite music with the integrated digital music recorder and store up to 2 hours of music in the phone’s 64 MB memory. The Nokia Audio Manager PC software and connectivity cable provided in the sales package enable users to rip music files from their own CDs and download them to the Nokia 5510. Users can listen to music either on the music player or the FM radio and simultaneously play games.
Featuring a full keyboard, the new entertainment phone is also the perfect device for messaging, incorporating multiple chat, multiple SMS sending, and the ability to send longer text messages with SMS concatenation. Faster typing and convenient use of WAP email is also made possible by the full keyboard. Other messaging features include the sending of templates, smileys, and picture messages.
The device conveniently functions as a games platform with game controls for two hands and keys located on either side of the screen. It comes with five embedded games: Bumper, Space Impact, Snake ll, Pairs ll, and Bantumi.
The games and entertainment dimensions of this device are further enhanced by services available from Club Nokia. Members of Club Nokia can download animated screensavers as well as new and more challenging game levels via WAP. Members can also compete with other players by sending in their high scores to Club Nokia.
Features of the Nokia 5510 include:
– a WAP 1.1 browser for mobile access to the Internet
– a 64 MB memory to store up to 2 hours of music
– the ability to create music libraries and play lists with the Nokia Audio Manager software
– automatic radio channel search
– the ability to answer and end phone calls with the stereo headset (HDD-2) while listening to music
– capacity to store up to 10 preset radio stations in the phone memory
– dedicated shortcut keys for fast access to music player and radio menus
– capacity for up to 42 ring tones
– voice dial for 8 names for quick and convenient voice activated phonecalls.
– talktime: 2h 30min – 4h 30min
– standby time: 55-260h
– a 950 Li-lon battery with standard charger: 3h 45min charging time